Recommended Steps for Optimizing Schema Synchronization in CMS 8
Version: CMS 8, 8.x
February 13, 2014
Last updated: 1/30/2021
- Administrator access to the following:
- CMS instance (to perform Synchronization)
- IIS instance (to rectify timeout errors)
- Filesystem where CMS is located (to backup existing data)
The following recommendations are suggested when conducting a Schema Synchronization in the CMS:
● Before begining any Synchronization activities, backup the %site root%/xml folder as a precaution.
• Ensure that no users are working within the CMS and that no publishing or automated tasks are being run.
• Synchronize in groups of no more than 20 xIDs at a time.
• If CMS becomes unresponsive during the Synchronization or if recycling the application pool should become necessary, the following steps should prevent the issue from repeating:
■ From within the ASP settings of IIS, Increase the Script Time-out property for the CMs instance:
○ IIS Manager > CMS Site Instance > ASP
■ Increase the default Time-out to improve Schema Synchronization time-outs:
■ If you still receive time-outs after implementing the above change, try performing a Check-Out on the pages in question prior to beginining the Synchronization.