Once configured, the synonyms search feature returns results for searched terms that are similar in meaning to those in the indexed content.
|Version Notes: ISS 2.11+|
|As of the release of InSite Search 2.11, the configuration of synonyms has moved from Search.config to a dedicated configuration file (i.e., synonyms.xml) in [Drive]:\[path-to-DSS-root-folder]\Config, which is its default location.|
To configure synonyms in ISS 2.11+:
- Navigate to Config\Synonyms.xml.
- Open synonyms.xml in a text editor.
- Use the following sample to customize your Synonyms.xml file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Synonyms> <S words="organization, institution, company, firm, corporation"/> <S words="cat, feline, kitty, lion"/> </Synonyms>
- Save Synonyms.xml when finished.
Note: If you upgrade to InSite Search 2.11+ and have synonyms configured in Search.config from an earlier ISS release, see Migrating Synonym Configuration for details.
This section includes:
- Migrating Synonym Configuration: View details about using the new synonyms format and migrating synonyms from Search.config to Synonyms.xml.
- Referencing External Synonyms: View details about finding Synonyms.xml outside of its default location (DSS Config folder).