CMS Upgrade Checklist
The following is a list of recommended tests to run on an upgraded CMS site. This list is not exhaustive, and the exact set of tests to run depends on your specific CMS implementation.
- Log into the CMS.
- Create pages and components within the site tree.
- Check out and check in pages and components.
- Save page and component changes.
- Page view and preview properly render pages.
Advanced and site-specific tests:
Workflow: For each workflow within the site, confirm that:
- A page or component can completely transition through its entire a workflow
- All workflow notifications are sent properly.
- Publishes occur at the appropriate steps.
- Check in/check out triggers occur on the appropriate workflow transitions.
- Mark/unmark for publish events occur on the appropriate workflow transitions.
Migration of replication from PeerSync (pre-CMS 8.0 only): Confirm that:
- Exclusions on media server directories are removed, unless assets are very large.
- Replication speed is adequate.
- After a full publish and replication, the appropriate files get removed as expected.
Publishing targets and Dynamic Publishing: Confirm that:
- Dynamic Publishing for publishing targets is enabled.
- No errors appear in publishing logs for any publishing target after full and incremental publishes.
- Publish speeds are adequate. (If performance is slow, consider ceasing scheduled publishes in favor of at-will or workflow publishing.)
Preview: Confirm that:
- Preview works with Dynamic Publishing enabled. Be sure to check In-Context Editing (ICE) and preview surfing (i.e., navigating site links within preview).
- ICE is enabled.
- Preview is faster than the previous version. If not, report to punch list.
- Site navigations function correctly in preview.
- The Show All Pages check box works correctly.
TinyMCE (body-copy editor): Confirm that:
- Toolbar buttons appear according to group settings.
- Custom styles load correctly.
WorldView (if applicable): Confirm that:
- Clone sections can be created successfully.
- Appropriate translation workflows are applied to WorldView pages.
Custom hooks (if applicable):
- Review custom hook usage and ensure that any actions coded into Custom Hooks are still working properly.
Apps and custom tabs: Confirm that:
- Items enabled in the Apps pane display properly.
- All custom tabs display properly to the correct users
Automated tasks: Confirm that:
- Dynamic Publishing performance works as expected. Automated publishing, if it was configured due to performance issues previously, may be able to be disabled and the CMS instance returned to at-will publishing.
- Ensure any other automated tasks works as expected.
Schema Designer: Confirm that:
- There are no invalid schemas or schema errors.