DITA "Used By" Properties
The Used By tab provides details about DITA content that reference the currently selected DITA or non-DITA item.
For example, let's say a DITA topic references the currently select image asset. The topic that references the image displays as a usage reference dependency within the Used By tab list entries. Also, the image asset's Used By tab list entries will include the DITA map that references the DITA topic, as the linking relationship correlates to the image asset's hierarchical relationship structure.
See Dependencies Overview for additional details about DITA dependency linking.
- Navigate to .
- Select the DITA item, and select the tab.The Used By tab displays DITA content that references the currently selected item within their content.
- Choose one of the following filter options.
Option Description Direct Usage References Displays only direct parent usage references (i.e., distance 1 dependencies) that link to the currently selected item. All Usage References Displays all ancestor usage references associated with the currently selected item. This data includes parent dependencies, grandparent dependencies, etc.NoteSelect this filter option to see the dependency route of each entry.
If the currently selected item contains zero usage references, this filter option displays as inactive.
- Select or clear the Show Errors Only checkbox.
If selected, this option displays only usage references that have errors.
- Optional: Enter keywords in the Search field to search for individual usage references.
- Review the usage references within the list.
Data Type Description Name The name, file extension, and ID of the DITA content that references (directly or indirectly) the current asset.TipSelect the column entry to navigate to the referencing DITA item. Distance The hierarchical relationship distance between the current asset item and the referencing DITA item.
For example, if the distance is 1, then the usage reference entry links directly to current asset item.
If the distance is 2, then the usage reference entry is a grandparent within the dependency structure. In other words, the usage reference entry links to another DITA item that, in turn, directly references the currently selected asset item (the grandchild dependency).NoteSelect the All Usage References filter option to display dependencies with distances greater than 1.
Dependency Route The hierarchical relationship structure of the current DITA item. This route indicates the dependency chain of DITA items that ultimately links to the current item.
For example, let's say the DITA item garage-1.ditamap is a usage reference entry with the following dependency route:
In this example, the file rinsingthecar.dita is the currently selected DITA item. The DITA map garage-1.ditamap references washingthecar.dita, which references rinsingthecar.dita.TipKeep in the following in mind.
- Select the All Descendents filter option to display dependency routes.
- Select the individual items within the dependency route to navigate to that item.
Type The type of usage reference. The Type value represents the DITA element that references the dependency. Confirmed The Dependency Confirmed for Publish check mark indicates the system has registered the dependency within the DITA content and will include the dependency in the next publish.
The pipeline requires the confirmation of all dependencies before publishing the DITA collection.NoteUsers can only publish DITA content at the map level. See Publishing DITA Assets for details.
Keep the following in mind:
- Publishes do not include unconfirmed dependencies. However, if the Show all pages preview option is selected at the time of preview generation, then DITA Preview includes the unconfirmed dependencies.
- All dependencies of newly created items remain unconfirmed until you check in those new assets.
- If you or other users add dependencies to checked-out items, the new dependencies remain unconfirmed until checked in.
- If you or other users remove dependencies from checked-out items, the removed dependencies remain confirmed until checked in.
Validity If the usage reference has conflicts, the error details display within this column entry.
- Optional: Select Download CSV to download a .csv file
of this data to your local machine.NoteClear the Show Errors Only checkbox and Search filters to use the Download CSV tool.