Creating Custom 404 Error Pages
When users search for resources that do not exist in your current site, IIS will display the following "page not found" error message by default:
To facilitate a smooth user-experience, create a friendly 404 page that displays when users try to navigate to pages that do not exist within your site. This 404 page can be customized to contain links to alternate content on your site or to direct users to search functionality to locate the exact page or contents they were looking for in the first place.
- Create a
page in the CMS using any page type. NoteSome websites may have specific "Error Page" page types while others use existing page types.
- Name the page 404 page (or similarly).
- Go to the Administration > Publishing System.
- Select the appropriate publishing target.
- Enter the xID of the 404 page you just created in the 404 Error Handling
- Mark for publish the 404 page.
- Publish the page.
- Verify that the new 404 page displays by navigating to a page that does not exist on your site.