CMS 10.0–10.5 Adding Content Units
Content units serve as instances of structured content (i.e., building blocks) that you can only add to page layouts. Use field or component content units to add content to your presentation. By default, Page Builder displays pre-made form field and component units. To build presentation content units, users require administrative rights in the Presentation Content Units for details.area of the CMS site. See
Content units come in two varieties:
- Field content unit
- A wrapper around a basic field (i.e., element) type. These can be text, images, links - any kind of element type. Each field content unit has a unique name, default values, and a layout associated with it. In this way, content units of the same element type can have different layouts.
- Component content unit
- A wrapper around a complete, component-based schema that can contain multiple field content units.
Properties applicable to content units:
|Properties Area||Presentation Object||Description||How to Access|
|Content Unit Properties||Content Units||Use these properties in conjunction with the Design Presentation pane's Content Units area. Content Unit Properties displays the content unit's name and type, options to edit or delete the content unit, and options for child layouts.||Select the content unit header or the content area itself. |
- Click the Content Units area in the Design
- Optional: Use the Filter field to find content units by keyword. Select or clear the Field Units and Component Units checkboxes to display only field or component content units.
- Optional: Toggle the Switch to Thumbnails View or Switch to
List View icon to display the content units as thumbnails or in a
- Optional: Hover over the content unit. Click the Preview Content Unit icon
to preview the content unit or, if applicable, click Show Instances
to display shared instances of the content unit.NoteThe Shared Instances table displays shared (not embedded) component fields with child layouts.
- Drag the content unit to the desired layout column (i.e., the area labeled
Drag Content Unit Here) in the Design tab
workspace.NoteContent units with the recycle icon can be used multiple times in the presentation. Content with no recycle icon can only be used once.
- Add content to the field or component unit.
- If you drag a field unit, click the field to add content. Click the checkmark (✔)
icon to confirm.
- If you drag a component unit, click Use Existing Component to
use existing content or click Add New Content to edit the field
in-context. Version Notes: CMS 10.1+Prior to Ingeniux CMS 10.1, Page Builder designers needed to add stub content to new presentation content units (PCU) at design time. As of CMS 10.1+, if content has not been added at design time, a placeholder (i.e., Add New Content button) displays, automatically. Designers can determine the layout of the content units before passing the page, with its new PCU, to a content contributor, who provides the content itself. After these "pending" content units have been saved, they display in this way:NoteOnce a content contributor selects the PCU, the Use Existing Component and the Add New Content buttons display. The content contributor adds content via one of these options. If no existing components are available, the Use Existing Component button displays as inactive.
- If you drag a field unit, click the field to add content. Click the checkmark (✔) icon to confirm.
- Click the content unit. See the Properties table for details.The Content Unit Properties area displays the name of the content unit name and its type (e.g., field, component) in the Design Presentation pane.NoteIn the Content Unit Properties area, you can access the following buttons:
- Click the Edit Content Unit icon to modify the content unit.
- Click Remove Content Unit icon to delete the content unit from the presentation.
- Optional: Tag Note for DITA belowIf you click a component unit, see Adding
Child Layouts to Forms for details to add child layouts.The Content Unit Properties area displays the Child Unit Container field with the Pick button to select child layouts.NoteIf component units contain no content, the Content Unit Name and Content Unit Type fields display as empty, and the Child Unit Container field displays as inactive with the following text:
External Component, Child Layout locked
- Click Save to save your presentation.